For the first time in Australia, Shu Uemura brings new Shu Uemura Art Of Hair – a professional line of luxury hair care, in-salon treatments and styling products.
Launched on our shores by L’Oréal Professional Products in April, the art inspired premiere of the new luxury hair care brand took place at the equally creative and innovative Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation in Paddington, NSW with special guest, LA based, Australian actress Phoebe Tonkin.
Tonkin flew in direct from LA for the launch, first arriving at Brad Ngata’s brand new Crown Street Salon – amongst one of the first in Sydney to champion the Shu Uemura Art of Hair Collection complete with a Zen inspired treatment space.
An intimate crowd of the industry’s finest beauty media and hair stylists were treated to a first look at the new collection – up and coming Australian models Sarah Pauley and Valentina Sykes dressed in Akira, modelled artistic inspired hair looks created by Jayne Wild of Wildlife Hair (also a Shu Uemura Salon) and was assisted by Shu Uemura Artistic Master Mark Rippon.
Belle of the ball Phoebe Tonkin represented the cool, edgy and creative voice of the quintessential Shu Uemura woman, reflecting the Hollywood roots of the brand. Dressed by celebrity stylist and blogger Romy Frydman of Style Me Romy, Tonkin looked elegant and modern in a Proenza Schouler skirt, top and jacket, Gucci shoes and a Chanel bag.
One of Australia’s most celebrated designers Akira Isogawa brought his artistic flair dressing the models and creating a special Shu Uemura inspired silk scarf for guests to take home.
Attendees sipped on Japanese tea and kept hydrated with Santa Vittoria Mineral Water whilst enjoying delectable Japanese canapés by Sake with Head Chef Shimpei Hatanaka rolling sushi in front of intrigued guests.
Shu Uemura Art of Hair Australia General Manager Ludovic Dellazzeri addressed the beauty savvy crowd and introduced Shu Uemura Art of Hair, a collection appealing to a new luxury consumer offering not only a distinctive hair result but also a unique sensorial and highly personalised experience.
The Shu Uemura Art of Hair collection
The Shu Uemura Art of Hair collection includes 28 hair care products and 14 styling products as well as 4 in-salon ceremony treatments, incorporating traditional Japanese tea ceremony and shiatsu inspired massage techniques.
Inspired by the fusion of cultures Mr. Shu Uemura experienced throughout his career, Shu Uemura Art Of Hair focuses on the simplicity and purity of eastern beauty balanced with luxurious western glamour.
The exclusive product offering is inspired by the interlacing of science, beauty and art. As an artist, Shu Uemura’s mantra has been “Never stop thinking, improving, innovating. Creating something that is universally beautiful, that is art.” The innovation behind the line is based on a delicate balance between the intelligence of nature and the integrity of science.
Shu Uemura’s renowned expertise in oil is utilised within the luxurious formulations. The collection treats the hair like a canvas; preparing the fibre to achieve perfect harmony between texture, shape and radiance to then create the perfect style and finish.
The Shu Uemura Art of Hair collection will be available in selected high end salons across Australia from May 1, 2013.
GET THE LOOK
Hair director Brad Ngata talks of the inspiration behind his look for Pheobe Tonkin;
“I was influenced by the artistic story around Shu Uemura Art of Hair, elements of Japanese culture and the idea of art meets hair; the wet-look finish of a Geisha’s hair style, the brush strokes of calligraphy and the bound part of a Japanese brush. The hair is completely off the face, and the style incorporates two twisted ponytails that meet in the center. For me, it was important to keep Phoebe’s hair style looking young with a tough modern edge.”
1. To create the perfect base, hair was washed and conditioned with Muroto Volume shampoo and conditioner.
2. Spray Depsea Foundation onto towel dried hair section by section to prepare the hair for styling and smooth the cuticles. Follow by applying Fiber Lift from roots to ends for grip and hold. Blow dry in.
3. Next apply Essence Absolue nourishing protective oil on the mid-lengths for shine. Straighten the hair, directing the top lengths back.
4. Section the hair from ear to ear. Mix Essence Absolue with Extreme Urushi gel into a mixing bowl.
Starting with the bottom section, apply the mixture at the roots and comb back into a ponytail at the nape. Secure with a hair tie then twist the lengths into a neat, compact roll. Secure with pins.
5. Repeat the same method with the top section. Pull the side lengths back first then position middle section back into a ponytail. Twist the underneath lengths of the tail and secure with pins. Let the top lengths drop over. Finish with Sheer Lacquer for control and hold.
- Shu Uemura Muroto Volume shampoo $46.00
- Shu Uemura Muroto Volume conditioner $56.00
- Shu Uemura Depsea Foundation $46.00
- Shu Uemura Fiber Lift $46.00
- Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Protective Oil $66.00
- Shu Uemura Extreme Urushi $46.00
- Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer $42.00
Images courtesy of Shu Uemura