Ahead of their first pop-up shop launching in Australia today, we catch up with Kathryn O’Connor, Director of Marketing, PR and Engagement for Free People, to find out what we can expect from this exciting initiative, and to find out more about this beautiful, bohemian brand.
1. We can’t wait to check out Free People’s first Australian pop-up shop! Can you tell us a little bit about what we can expect from the store?
Expect a peek into what a real FP store is like. We really put a lot into our store display and décor. It’s going to feel crafty and beautiful. And, loads of Product! For the first time, Aussie fans will get the Free People shopping experience. She’ll be able to shop our capsule collection, and will have access to special promotions and giveaways – including gifts to the first 50 customers on Friday!
2. It’s no secret we love to shop here in Australia! Why have Free People decided to launch their first Australian pop-up shop?
It was time to come in person and thank everyone for the support, giving back with something fun and special. We’ve seen a great reaction to the Free People brand here in Australia! The local customer loves our eclectic free-spirited style, and the brand has grown quickly in the market.
4. How would you describe the Free People aesthetic to those who haven’t shopped at Free People before?
Our designs are influenced by cultures around the world and vintage styles from eras past. Grounding in that, we take the inspiration and turn it into something modern to support current trends that we believe in and love. It is part boho, part effortless cool girl, part tomboy, a flair of sexy, or could sneak a ruffle or two. Free People is eclectic.
5. Free People have created an exclusive capsule collection just for Australia. What inspired this collection and how would you describe the Australian style?
Our creative teams got together to curate pieces from FreePeople.com exclusively for the pop up shop. The capsule gives Australians a chance to shop the pieces in person, and to download the Free People app to purchase on site. You’ll notice a lot of black and crimson, maxi dresses, and hand-touched statement accessories in the assortment.
6. What are the hottest trends we can expect to see this season, and how can we work these trends into our wardrobes?
We’re really standing strong for sheer dressing, one-piece rompers, strappy detailing, and cutouts. We love giving a glimpse at what is underneath. Layer a strappy bra with a cutout top, or try a sheer slip overtop your outfit. One-pieces always make a great statement, whether they are overalls, a romper, or jumpsuit.
7. Free People has a very unique approach to marketing their product. The brand has worked with emerging actors such as Christopher Abbott and Sheila Marquez to create short films to capture the spirit of the Free People brand. Why do you think this medium is effective in conveying the vibe of new collections?
Video is a way for us to tell our story. Short films like ‘Roshambo’ have been instrumental in connecting customers to the brand and in turn giving life to our collections. With video you have the ability to add in an element of emotion, and that is very powerful.
8. Your campaigns have featured style icons such as Erin Wasson and Frieda Pinto. Which celebrities do you think embody the Free People brand?
We have a lot of icons that we look to here at Free People. Erin Wasson and her effortless tomboy style is definitely a big one. We also love Kate Moss, Stevie Nicks, and Jane Birkin among so many others.
9. What exciting things are coming up from Free People this year?
Fans will have to keep an eye out for more exciting launches. I can say that we are excited to be carrying more in-house footwear beginning this August, and we will continue to expand our FP Movement line. The pieces feel very Free People and I’m excited to see the customer reaction.