Best-selling authors and internationally recognised “Beauty Myth Busters”, Paula Begoun, Bryan Barron and Desiree Stordahl have just launched a new book, The Best Skin Of Your Life Starts Here, offering sound advice for all ages on how to put together the most effective skincare routine, why skin type is important, special skin concerns, and the latest breakthroughs in products + ingredients that work to “turn back the clock.”
We sat down with authors, Paula Begoun (Founder) and Bryan Barron (Research Director) of Paula’s Choice Skincare to talk about their new book and to get some Beauty tips.
Congratulations on the release of The Best Skin of your Life Starts Here. How important is it for everyone to have a skincare routine?
Just like a healthy, balanced diet is important for our overall health, a skincare routine is important for achieving and maintaining healthier, younger-looking skin. And it need not be complicated: depending on your skin type and concerns, your daytime routine may only need 3 or 4 products, including sun protection. The nighttime routine may need to be a bit more involved, but still doesn’t need to take up much time—and the rewards you’ll see in the mirror will be great.
It’s really great that you’re able to really break down complicated skin issues into an easy to understand way. Was it hard given all the research you have done and your knowledge of skincare?
We wouldn’t say it was hard, but that’s mostly because we’ve been studying this research for so long, and have learned so much that we want to share with others! If anything, the difficult part was distilling everything down into chapters that were direct, easy to understand, and yet also able to cut through the mounds of hype and misleading information out there. It’s all about helping people making the best decisions for their skin by being armed with the most current knowledge about what really works—and what doesn’t work and isn’t worth your time or money.
In your book you set the record straight on many beauty lies that people believe. Are you astonished by the beauty myths that are out there?
Constantly! And we come across new ones all the time, which only makes things more confusing for beauty consumers. The other surprising element is that so many longtime beauty myths are still around, including those that are so easy to disprove, like drinking water being able to prevent dry skin (which it cannot do, though you will end up making more trips to the loo!).
As we head into Autumn, what are your top 3 skin tips?
- Just because summer is over, don’t get lax about applying broad spectrum sunscreen every day, to all exposed skin. It’s about exposure to UV light, which occurs even when the sun isn’t shining.
- Exfoliate! Adding an AHA or BHA exfoliant to your routine can be such a game-changing step, you’ll marvel at the difference it can make no matter your skin type or concern.
- As we move into colder weather, you might need to switch to a richer moisturiser. Have a lightweight moisturiser you love but wish it were a bit more hydrating? Consider boosting it! A few drops of a product like Paula’s Choice Resist Moisture Renewal Oil Booster or Resist Hyaluronic Acid Booster can make a big difference and you don’t have to start the search for your perfect moisturiser all over again.
Do you think it’s necessary to spend a lot on skincare?
No! Great skincare shouldn’t be a luxury. You can assemble a brilliant skincare routine, including one that includes anti-aging products, for less money than you might think. No single product in your routine should ever cost more than $75, and in this price range the formula should be spectacular.
If you only had space/time/money available for 5 skincare products, what would they be?
- A gentle, water soluble cleanser
- An AHA or BHA leave-on exfoliant
- A daytime moisturiser with sunscreen rated SPF 30 or greater
- An anti-aging serum that contains retinol plus antioxidants and repairing ingredients
- A nighttime moisturiser that can also be applied around the eyes
To get your copy of The Best Skin Of Your Life Starts Here visit www.paulaschoice.com.au