Australia will be tickled pink this October to be participating in the Cancer Council’s National Breast Cancer Awareness month. For the whole month of October, women throughout Australia will be raising money for breast and gynaecological cancer research by having a Girls’ Night In!
Australian model Sarah Murdoch is well known for her dedicated work with the Cancer Council Australia and this year a few more celebrities have been named as ambassadors. Neighbours actress Gemma Pranita, Home and Away actress Rhiannon Fish, radio and TV presenter Charli Robinson, Channel Nine news presenter Alison Ariotti, Celebrity chef Karen Martini, Nashville actress Clare Bowen and TV presenter and foodie Alana Lowes are among some of the big names. Along with these Australian personalities, women across the nation are getting involved to raise money for a cause that is close to so many of our hearts.
What’s the idea behind Girls’ Night In?
Get the girls rallied together for a night in and donate all of the money that you would normally spend on a night out, towards cancer research. So gals, put your heels and handbags back in the closet and get ready for a cozy night in, because Couturing have designed the perfect Girls’ Night In for you.
To make sure you’re really in the spirit of things begin with a dress code, just because you’re staying in doesn’t mean you can’t dress up. Wear pink, whatever form that comes in, whether it be fluffy slippers or a slinky nightgown, wear it loud and proud.
Also even though you’re not going to a bar, that doesn’t mean the bar can’t come to you! A sparkling rose or a delicious (and colour appropriate) Cosmo will go down a treat.
- 60ml vodka
- 30ml Cointreau
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 60ml cranberry juice
- 1 slice lime zest to garnish
Pour all the ingredients except the lime zest into a cocktail shaker with lots of ice. Shake vigorously for several seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist.
Keeping with the theme, why not feast on all things pink too, freshly smoked salmon with a roasted beetroot, rocket and goats cheese salad for the main and a strawberry parfait or panacotta for dessert! When you’re doing the grocery shopping for your pink menu, pop down to Coles as they are a proud corporate partner of the Cancer Council Australia and supporting this cause is what the whole night is about.
Before you settle down for a movie, keep the girly activity levels high, celebrate being domestic goddesses and get baking. We’re thinking strawberry macaroons and rosewater and pistachio cupcakes, baked and ready to be taken home after the movie (how hospitable of you!).
Rose Water and Pistachio Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Fill a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases
- 120 g Plain flour
- 140 g Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- Pinch Salt
- 40 g Unsalted butter, room temp
- 120 ml Whole milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Rosewater
- 250g Icing sugar, sifted
- 80 g Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 25 ml Whole milk
- 2 drops Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Rosewater
- Pink food colouring
- 1/4 cup Pistachios, finely chopped
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency, and everything is combined. If you don’t have a mixer you can “rub” the butter in to the flour mix.
- Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla extract, remaining milk and rosewater together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric mixer on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk, vanilla extract and rosewater in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add in pink food colouring (1-2 drops depending on how pink you want the frosting).
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and then garnish with finely chopped pistachios.
No Girls’ Night In is complete without a movie – more specifically, a chick flick. We think that these 5 movies would best suit the night: Clueless, Pretty in Pink (duh!), Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion, 10 Things I Hate About You and of course The Notebook (or anything with Ryan Gosling).
As well as being the ideal excuse to catch up with your girlfriends, this is your opportunity to contribute to an amazing cause. The Cancer Council Australia’s motto is very fitting to finish on – ‘Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something’.
To register your Girls’ Night In go to the Cancer Council Australia’s website and follow the links www.cancer.org.au/
Or go to the ‘Girls Night In’ Facebook page.
- WE MEET THE FINALISTS FOR SIMONE PÉRÈLE’S CURVY COUTURE MODEL SEARCH
- WHY YOU NEED A KINI BIKINI THIS SUMMER
- DIVE INTO SUMMER WITH GP SWIM
- THE LATEST BALDWIN ON THE BLOCK
- GETTING BACK TO BASSIKE
- GET YOUR PINK ON WITH BRIGHT PINK LIPSTICK DAY THIS SEPTEMBER 26 TO SUPPORT PINK HOPE
- YSL DANGEROUS REDS – NEW CAMPAIGN FEATURING CARA DELEVINGNE
- JURLIQUE’S NEW NUTRI-DEFINE LUXE RANGE
- NEWS: LADY JAYNE SPORTS LUXE COLLECTION, SANCTUARY SPA WONDER OIL AND ESSENZZA FACIAL WIPES
- RAQUEL ZIMMERMANN FRONTS THE NEW NARCISO BY NARCISO RODRIGUEZ CAMPAIGN
- THE 2014 LAVAZZA ITALIAN FILM FESTIVAL BRINGS A TASTE OF MEDITERRANEAN TO OUR SCREENS
- NEWS: THE EMERSON TURNS 1, HAMMER & TONG’S FOOD TRUCK AND IL FORNO OPENS IN SOUTH YARRA
- REKORDERLIG CIDES PRESENTS SOUNDS IN THE SNOW AT THREDBO
- CELEBRATE WORLD CHOCOLATE DAY WITH CADBURY
- A WEEKEND IN THE TASMANIAN OUTDOORS