In the warmer months we tend to change our eating habits, and salads are always at the top of the list. We’ve chosen, made and tasted, three simple summer salads that will leave you feeling fresh, light and sufficiently satisfied.
Avocado & Corn Summer Salsa Salad
– 2 avocados: Halved, stones removed, peeled and chopped
– 1 corn cob: Cooked, then kernels removed off the cob (can use canned if you wish, but fresh is best)
– 2 shallots: Thinly sliced
– ¼ cup of fresh coriander
– Juice of half a lemon
– Combine the avocado, corn, coriander and shallots then gently stir, being careful not to squash the avocado.
– Squeeze lemon juice over ingredients. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Greek-Style Quinoa Salad
– 1 ½ cups of quinoa, cooked and drained
– ½ cup of pine nuts, lightly toasted
– 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
– 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
– ½ small red onion, diced
– ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
– 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
– Combine cooked quinoa with toasted pine nuts.
– Add in cucumber, tomatoes, onion and parsley. Gently Stir.
– Fold in oil, lemon juice and lemon-zest. Season with salt and pepper.
– Garnish with fresh parsley.
Rockmelon & Prosciutto with Persian Feta
– 1/4 rockmelon, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges
– 12 slices of prosciutto
– 160g baby spinach and rocket leaves
– 180g Persian feta in reserved oil
– 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
– Combine rockmelon, baby spinach, rocket and prosciutto.
– Crumble feta over the top, making sure you include some of the preserve oil for extra flavour.
– Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the salad and season with pepper.
Images by Ashlee Blackburn