Melbourne’s Spring Racing Carnival kicks off shortly, with race-goers meticulously choosing their outfits in order to finish first in the fashion stakes. From heels, clutches and frocks to the most essential feature, the hat or fascinator, the perfect look is a must. Ensuring that your choice of headwear – the crowning glory of your outfit – is perfectly displayed will help complete your outfit; after all it is what can make or break an outfit. Just ask Princess Beatrice.
Although it may be easier to pick the winner on the track than the perfect fascinator, one aspect that should not be overlooked is the hairstyle worn to fit with your millinery.
Couturing teamed up with stylists from Hair Odyssey in Hawthorn to create easy hairstyles to complement your headwear. With help from our friends at Kevin.Murphy, Mimco and Annie Clifforth Millinery, the four easy styles can be replicated at home using our step-by-step guide.
LOOK ONE – MESSY SIDE BUN
1. Part your hair on your preferred side
2. From the side opposite to your part, take a small section away from the rest of your hair
3. Begin to plait this section towards the base of the opposite side of the head and secure the plait with a hair elastic.
4. Spray hair with Kevin Murphy’s Young.Again (49.95) infused treatment oil to add lustre.
Pull the plait and the rest of the hair into a low side ponytail.
6. Take another hair elastic and pull three-quarters of the ponytail length through the elastic, forming a loop shape.
7. Pass the looped ponytail through the hair elastic until secured to form a messy bun.
8. Wrap the section of hair set aside in Step 6 around the base of the bun to hide the hair elastics.
10. Spray hair with Kevin Murphy’s Session.Spray ($34.95) so that the hairstyle will last you all day
11. Carefully place the fascinator on top of your head.
LOOK THREE – SOPHISTICATED PONYTAIL
2. Brush the rest of your hair in an upwards motion in order to form a high, slick ponytail. Secure with a hair elastic.
3. Unclip the hair set aside in Step 1 and twist it clockwise.
LOOK FOUR – ELEGANT MODERN BUN
2. Wrap the ends of your hair around the base of the ponytail, forming a bun
3. Secure the bun with bobby pins, hiding any loose ends of your hair
4. Comb fingers gently through the bun to keep it loose and unstructured.
5. Spray Kevin Murphy’s Texure.Master ($34.95) through the top of your hair which will allow it to 6. appear voluminous
6. Place fascinator on top of your head.
- AJAK DENG RETURNS TO VAMFF FOR RIVER ISLAND AND THE ICONIC
- FROM PARIS FASHION WEEK WITH LOVE
- BY JASMIN INSPIRED BY THE ETERNAL WANDER
- FASHION MEETS COFFEE: MICHAEL LO SORDO COLLABORATES WITH LAVAZZA
- NICOLE TRUNFIO HERALDS A NEW DIRECTION FOR QVB
- ACAI, NOT JUST FOR YOUR SMOOTHIES!
- GLAMOUR AT LONDON FASHION WEEK
- A-LIST BEAUTY – THE BEST MAKEUP FROM THE 2014 OSCARS
- CHANNEL YOUR INNER GLAMAZON WITH NARS
- VERSO, THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF SWEDEN SINCE IKEA