With the who’s who of the fashion world piling in to Sydney this week for the annual Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia, some designers have previewed their newest collections in preparation for Australia’s biggest week in fashion and beauty.
A designer praised and recognised for his use of exuberant colour and lively designs, Gary Bigeni showcased his playful Spring Summer 2013/2014 ‘Alignment’ collection at Sydney’s China Heights Studio last Wednesday.
With such a busy palette of colours being shown down the runway, the hairstyles needed to be kept clean and simple with a modern twist to compliment Bigeni’s designs. Redken hair director Jon Pulitano was the mastermind behind the hairstyles at the collection, opting for an understated look to juxtapose the clothes, saying, “hair needed to be quietly chic.” The look created was a slight masculine low ponytail with a touch of colour painted onto the hair.
GET THE LOOK:
- Prep hair with Redken Rootful 06 Root Lifting Spray ($29.95) to the roots of your hair and brush it through to the lengths.
- Blow-dry your hair fairly smooth to prep for the sleek ponytail.
- Part your hair naturally and pull it back into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck, keeping it tight on the sides.
- Secure ponytail with a hair tie, leaving out a small section of the your hair free. Wrap the free piece of hair around the tie to conceal the hair tie.
- Spray hair with Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray ($26.95) to secure the look.
- Rub two-three drops of Redken Argan-6 Oil ($29) onto your palms and smooth over hair to rid any fly-aways on the crown and lengths of the ponytail.
- Finish the look with Redken 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray ($26.95) for extra hold and shine.
If you also want to add a touch of colour like Pulitano did for the models, use coloured hair dust in pastel colours such as blue, pink and violet to replicate the 60’s monochromatic look used on the runway. He painted the colour to a wide panel of the hair, starting from the front of the crown and running down into the nape of the ponytail.
Gary Bigeni’s newest collection has kick-started the massive week in fashion, raising the anticipation of the looks not only in the clothes but also in the hair and beauty looks that will be seen on the catwalk and translated onto the streets.
Images c/o Redken.