With MBFWA just around the corner, we caught up with talented Alexandra and Genevieve Smart, the brains behind one of Australia’s most loved labels, Ginger & Smart. After the success of their show last year where they introduced a must-have collection of bags and shoes into their range, we got a little hint as to what we can expect from their up-coming collection.
1. MBFWA is just around the corner and we can’t wait to see your new collection! Can you tell us a little bit about what we can expect?
Our Dualism SS 14 collection is inspired by double vision and duality. We were drawn to elements of music, photography and art that also played with linking structure and fluidity.
2. Balancing a successful fashion label and family is no mean feat! How have you managed both priorities?
Family and kids have always been part of the evolution of the business. We try to really focus on where we are at the time – if we are at work its all about work , and when we are with family it is all about them.
3. Since its launch in 2002, Ginger & Smart has developed a loyal fan base, seen on some of Australia’s most fashionable women such as Megan Gale and Jesinta Campbell. Who would you love to see in Ginger & Smart?
We always get a buzz when any of our customers wear one of our looks and she feels amazing and ready to face her day, or event or wedding…. Or whatever is in her day. That moment is what inspires us.
4. You’ve added shoes and bags to your collection, can we expect to see Ginger & Smart branch into any other areas?
For now we are focused on growing our diffusion line, Akin by Ginger & Smart, and our Ginger & Smart accessories lines – but watch this space…
5. What are the hottest trends we can expect to see on the runway during MBFWA?
We hope the trend this year is unique and inspired Australian designs that compete on the world stage.
6. What pieces are on high rotation in your wardrobe?
We often have great slouchy leather pants, silk shirts and a statement jackets on rotation.