Working with one of the hottest beauty brands at one of the biggest weeks in fashion? Well that’s what one of the talented make up artist’s from the MECCA team got to do earlier this year with a once in a lifetime opportunity for the makeup artist from Garden City, Brisbane. As one of only two artists selected across Australia and New Zealand on behalf of the MECCA team, Lou Hansen joined the NARS Cosmetics artistry team as they created the beauty looks for shows including Alexander Wang, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Adeam and Creatures of the Wind and was able to participate in workshops with some of the world’s best artists.
We caught up with Lou to find out what it was like to work at NYFW and to work with such a cult beauty brand.
It must have been so exciting to head to NYFW, can you share with us some of the highlights of your trip?
The whole experience was a dream and a lifetime achievement. Definite highlights were:
- Heading to the NARS Global Headquarters in New York – this was a day in heaven! Here we had the extremely rare and personal one on one teachings of Lena Koro. Lena originally started her career as François Nars’ first assistant and then has been working alongside Mr Nars for the last 20 years. Her knowledge and artistry is incredible and this was beyond anything that I’ve ever experienced. I was very honoured and grateful to have this opportunity, Lena’s teachings are invaluable.
- Being selected to work on the Alexander Wang and Phillip Lim shows with the amazing lead artists Dianne Kendal and Francelle Daly was incredible. I also came face to face with Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid backstage at the Wang show!
- Having all of NARS’ Global Artists in one room and being able to workshop with international artist Mark Carrasquillo was another ‘pinch me’ moment. Mark gave us so much knowledge and insight and getting a preview into his kit and methods was priceless.
What was it like working with the NARS team at NYFW and how much different is it from other fashion shows you’ve done?
The NARS artistry team has the same values as MECCA and we felt immediately at home and welcomed. The NARS setup was very stylish and sophisticated and the amount of press backstage was phenomenal. The looks, products and lead artists were of huge interest with press during Fashion Week.
You worked with the NARS team on some amazing shows, what were some of your favourite looks from the week?
My favourite look was definitely at the Alexander Wang show where models had their hair chopped off, brows bleached and makeup was very grunge, as if the models had been out partying all night. This was achieved simply by using NARS Black Moon Liner smudged into the waterline, black Audacious Mascara, raw skin and bare lips. The glow for the skin created by Francelle Daly at the Phillip Lim show was divine. Layering NARS Multiple ‘Copacabana’ with ‘Miss Liberty’ Highlighting Blush on top of perfectly prepped skin with a light tinted moisturiser was beautiful. The look was kept fresh and pretty, just a hint of Rue Bonaparte Eyeliner in the waterline with a couple of coats of mascara on curled lashes and a flesh toned lip. Heaven.
What are the key trends you saw from NYFW that we can expect to see here?
There were definitely a few:
- Beautiful boyish brows left full and brushed up as the feature alongside clean perfected skin
- A bold lip (especially black or poppy red) with flawless but natural looking skin
- Concealing only where needed, and
- Luminous skin…no contour in sight! Just highlight added softly on cheekbones, bridge of the nose and the chin for a glowy look
Did you get any tips from some of the other NARS MUA that you can share with us?
Learning how the NARS artists prep skin using their Multi-Action Hydrating Toner was very interesting. This product is both exfoliating and hydrating – a perfect fix for winter skin. It was even used on the lips! The importance of facial massage to really plump and hydrate the skin for extra luminosity was also something I took away.
What are your top 5 must have NARS products?
Top 5! Where to start…
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser! I wear this every day, it has beautiful coverage and blurs any imperfections. It looks like skin but better.
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, a little goes a long way. This full coverage concealer hides dark circles and lasts all day. The new Soft Matte Complete Concealer is a new favourite too.
- Any of the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, with my favourite shades ‘Bettina’ and ‘Famous Red’ always in my makeup clutch, taking me from day to night on the go. I usually am guilty of having at least three on me at any one time as they don’t weigh down my clutch and take up very little room.
- NARS Highlighting Blush in ‘Hot Sand’. I wear this every day to give me a healthy glow as it’s the perfect mix with ‘Orgasm’ blush. I also use this combo as my eyeshadow.
- NARS Velvet Eyeliner in ‘Mambo’ – a perfect rich, warm brown that adds a subtle smokiness to any colour eye.
Visit www.mecca.com.au for more information on the range of NARS Cosmetics