As the fastest growing city in the world, Dubai is a melting pot of 200 different cultures who have travelled from far and wide to reside in this dynamic world. Before visiting Dubai, like many travellers before me, I had pre-conceived ideas about what it would be like. Would it be too hot, would I have to cover up all the time and would I feel safe?
After spending a week there, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my pre-conceived ideas about the city were quickly overturned. The weather fluctuated between tops of 23 to 28 degrees, perfect holidaying weather and certainly not too hot. While you had to cover up in certain areas such as mosques, you do not need to cover up from head-to-toe when travelling around. While you shouldn’t walk around in hot pants, knee length skirts and sleeveless tops are fine. I’ve visited countries where I have gripped my bag nervously in both hands as I walked the streets. In Dubai however, I felt more than safe. You certainly don’t feel like you need to be constantly watching your things or looking over your shoulder.
While the majority of us stop over in Dubai on the way to their final destination, the city has a lot to offer and it is definitely working in a more than a few hours there into your itinerary.
So if you decide to visit this exciting country, here are my top 10 things you must do:
1. Spend a day walking around The Dubai Mall. Trust me, you need at least a day, it’s the largest shopping centre in the world after all!
2. Enjoy the magic of the Dubai desert with a night time safari. Click here to find out more.
3. De-bunk Dubai cultural myths at The Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding. Click here to find out more.
4. Have dinner at Prime 68, located at on the 68th floor of the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, the world’s tallest hotel. Click here to find out more.
5. Pick yourself up a traditional souvenir from the bustling Souks.
6. Explore the beautiful streets of Dubai with an Old City Tour. Click here to find out more.
7. Unleash your inner kid at Atlantis Palm’s world famous Aquaventure theme park.
8. Treat yourself to a massage at the award winning Jumeirah Zabeel Saray Resort.
9. Watch the dancing fountains in front of The Dubai Mall from 6:00pm every night, every half hour.
10. Instagram the view from the top of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.
Image by Chloe Ting
This Bloggerati Getaway is proudly sponsored by Dubai Tourism.