KEVIN MURPHY BRINGS MODERN BEACH CHIC TO MYER’S BIGGEST COLLECTIONS SHOW YET
Internationally renowned hairstylist Kevin Murphy has once again directed the hair for the Myer Spring/Summer 2013 launch – the department store’s biggest show on record. 62 models walked the 48 metre runway, with more than 200 looks on show during the much-anticipated event at Fox Studios in Sydney on Thursday 8 August.
Myer ambassadors Jennifer Hawkins and Kris Smith wowed the 500-strong audience, dressed in the latest looks for spring summer, with hair and make-up to match the hot new collections. Leading Australian designer Manning Cartell opened the show, with crowd-favorite Toni Maticevski taking the honour of closing the show.
Murphy and his team of 35 stylists showcased a modernised beach wave to complement the new season collections from some of the country’s most talented designers.
The inspiration of the look this year was water and feather, with Kevin Murphy creating a textured beach wave with a sleek wet finish, ensuring the final product was polished and chic.
“The waves have been pulled back off the face for a more modern look; I wanted to give the impression of a woman walking out of the ocean,” said Murphy.
“Fashion this season is all about the sharp silhouettes, so the hair needs to complement that by having a beautiful silhouette of its own that is strong but subtle enough not to detract from the clothes.”
To achieve this look, follow Kevin’s ‘How To’ instructions
1. Smooth over the hair gently using a smoothing brush to remove tangles.
2. While the hair is still damp, apply a good amount of ANTI.GRAVITY lotion from roots to ends and dry in.
3. Beginning at the front of the head, take a horizontal section about three inches across and one inch deep, back brush the roots gently and wrap away from the face with a medium curling iron. Remove the curling iron and pin hair into place with a PIN.CLIP, leaving the ends out.
4. Repeat the same technique on each side of the head.
5. Let the hair sit until it cools.
6. Beginning at the back, remove the clips one by one and smooth over as you go, bringing the sections together using a smoothing brush.
7. Using a little SESSION.SPRAY (rrp $32.95), smooth the sides straight back from the face and pin to control the hair, smooth all the way to the ends of the hair creating an undulating wave and not a curl.
8. To finish, take some SUPER.GOO (rrp $35.95) and apply using a flat palm movement to stretch out and control the wave from the nape to the top. Allow to relax before again molding with your palms as you go. Finish with a light mist of SHIMMER.SHINE (available in October).
This look is a great one to try at home. If you aren’t a fan of the ‘wet look’, when styling use SHIMMER.SHINE to give your tresses that glossy finish.
For more information on Kevin.Murphy visit www.kevinmurphy.com.au
Images by Lucas Dawson