Under the guidance of Guido Palau, Redken Global Styling Director, we bring you 5 signature looks from Paris Fashion Week. Follow his know-how to emulate the trends with flair and technique.
At the Ungaro Fall/Winter 2013 shows in Paris, Palau emphasized the importance of creating a hairstyle that is not only beautiful in its own right, but that also complements the clothing for an inspired head-to-toe look. Palau chose a subtle blow-wave to complement the 80’s-inspired collection that was full of big shoulders and short skirts.
“It’s straight, but blow-dried with a round brush and Satinwear 02 so it’s slightly richer than your average bow-dry – and to me, just using a round versus a straight brush creates that difference. It’s not too silky-smooth, and has almost just the memory of a rich, luxurious blow-dry; it’s not grungy, but I still wanted it to feel light and easy and not too perfect. It’s glamorous and very 80’s; a rich girl’s hair, and I can’t say I have any real statement about the inspiration except that it’s ‘gorgeous.’ The collection is extreme and very sexy, with big shoulders and shorter skirts, and we needed beautiful hair to match, but nothing over the top. And because of the volume in the shapes in the clothing I put no volume in the hair – I was going for a light-but-rich feeling blow-dry.”
GET THE LOOK:
1. Create a natural and not-too-messy centre part on damp hair, then apply Redken Satinwear 02 Ultimate Blow Dry Lotion ($29.95) and blow-dry sections with a round brush.
Hot Tip: The final look was then brushed out so that there were no defined waves and no volume on top.
Understanding the importance of a comprehensive overall look, Palau created a hair look that would fall ‘behind the clothing’ for the highly designed, structured Fall – Winter 2013 Sacai show in Paris.
“It was an easy-going and very simple look at Sacai – it’s all about natural texture and is tucked behind the ears – she’s a very cool, nonchalant girl. All the hair is behind the clothing – the collection is highly designed, and so you have to think the simpler the hair, the better. ”
GET THE LOOK:
1. Shampoo and condition hair using NEW Redken Diamond Oil Shampoo & Conditioner* ($22.95) for added strength and shine to create a glossy, natural clean-hair look.
2. Create a messy centre part. While hair is damp, clip hair behind the ears and let dry naturally (if hair is very curly or wavy, roughly blow-dry instead of air-dry).
3. Apply Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil ($29.00) to the ends to eliminate any frizz for a healthy-looking finish.
4. Remove clips when hair is dry, and keep hair tucked behind ears.
*Diamond Oil will soon be available in Australian salons
“This low pony has a beautiful rich texture and a little volume in the crown. What gives it its ‘fashion edge’ is how I doubled the ponytail over in the elastic so it’s shorter, and some pieces will fall out a little and that’s part of it. It’s also very dramatic from the front because it’s all straight back and away from face. I added some Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray right at the end just to help keep it off the face,” says Palau.
GET THE LOOK:
1. Starting with damp hair, apply Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam ($29.95) to the roots only. Follow with Redken Satinwear 02 Ultimate Blow Dry Lotion ($29.95) on the lengths to ends.
2. Blow dry hair straight back with a large round boar bristle brush (no part). Gather into a low pony, secure with a hair tie and double the ponytail up to create a loop by twisting the end of the pony up into the elastic.
3. Finish with Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray ($26.95)
“This look is certainly an “uptown” look. I envisioned maybe an elegant, luxurious lady who’s going out for dinner and teases her hair at the crown and puts it into this chic pony herself. The elastic is left uncovered so it has that do-it-yourself look but is ultimately very classy,” says Palau.
GET THE LOOK:
1. Apply Redken Full Effect 04 Nourishing Mousse ($29.95) to damp hair and blow-dry in sections, lifting at the roots to create maximum volume at the crown.
2. Add Redken Quick Tease 15 Backcombing Finishing Spray ($27.50) to the crown in sections, holding each section for a few seconds to let it dry before moving onto the next.
3. After the Quick Tease 15 has dried completely, backcomb hair with an oval boar bristle brush for volume throughout the crown and add Redken Powder Refresh 01 Dry Shampoo ($27.50)for light, airy texture.
4. Gather the lengths of the hair at the nape of the neck, making sure to leave the volume created on top, and then tie into a low pony with an elastic.
5. Finish the style with a light mist of Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray ($26.95) to retain the “wispy” texture and volume but help hold the shape.
“Overall it’s a very minimal aesthetic; a very clean look. There isn’t any specific inspiration, and it doesn’t reflect the clothing directly, but it reflects the look of the kind of woman I’ve come to know that Albert designs for, a kind of clean, minimal, but chic overall look,” explains Palau.
GET THE LOOK:
1. Apply Redken Full Soft Argan-6 Oil ($29.00) to damp hair and blow-dry straight with a boar bristle brush, working section by section for a smooth finish.
2. Create a clean side part, then gather hair at the base and twist into a low chignon, pinning as you go so that the pins are as invisible as possible.
3. Finish with Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray ($26.95) for hold.
Images and instructions courtesy of:
For more Redken hair advice on how to achieve runway looks, watch out for our coverage during Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia beginning 8 April 2013.