Gary Bigeni’s edited version of his Spring Summer collaboration with Melbourne based artist Matthew Johnson was shown at an exhibition titled Art & Design in Melbourne’s Block Projects Gallery. The collection showed the designer’s great love of colour and vibrant aesthetics. Collaborating with artist, Matthew Johnson, Gary re-purposed six of Matthew’s paintings as prints and showed off his designs with models wearing them in front Matthew’s large scale art works in the gallery.
The models’ looks had to take into consideration the bright pops of colour in Gary’s designs as well as the colours and patterns in Matthew’s art which stood in the background.
The hair styling, prepared by Redken hair director, Lorna Evans (Zumay Salon, Victoria), worked perfectly to create an intricate rough textured, braided look that complemented both Gary’s designs and Matthew’s art. The look was inspired by a sexy, effortless street style with a relaxed spring summer feel to complement the collection.
Creating the look for the event, Lorna said “Gary’s designs and Matthew’s artworks are stunning and just pop with colour so I wanted to create something that was really wearable and captures that spring summer feel. There is definitely a street style element happening here; the style isn’t beautiful and perfect in the traditional way, the beauty is in the technique of the braid which we’ve broken and roughed up. It’s sexy but not perfect,”
“Creating a good foundation and getting the braiding technique right is key to this look, so use Redken Guts 10 section by section all over the head to build it up and then don’t rush the braid. Take your time to make sure it doesn’t buckle or bunch, and to help it keep its position. You can always add extra texture at the end,” explains Lorna Evans.
LORNA EVANS’ HAIR HOW-TO – CREATE A FISH TAIL BRAID WITH EASE
1. Load the hair up with Redken Guts 10 volume spray foam ($29.95) from roots to ends. For best results apply in large sections at the roots and work the product through the mid-lengths to ends for each hair section. Scrunch the hair as you go to help build body and texture.
2. Blast dry directing the hair to one side as you go. Let the hair part to the side naturally.
3. Sprinkle the top lengths with Redken Powder Grip 03 ($20.95). Scrunch and shake the product into the hair using your hands to achieve wispy texture.
4. Next create the fishtail braid starting on the non-fringe side. For the event, the hair look includes two braids which come together. However you can still create a similar look at home with one continuous braid from the side.
First create two large sections. Take a small piece of hair from the outside from one of the large sections. Fold it over into the middle. Do the same from with the other large section folding an outer small section into the middle. Repeat the process down the entire length of the hair. Keep it tight and secure with a hair tie.
5. Lightly sprinkle Redken Powder Grip 03 over the entire braid, using your fingers to break it up and create fly-away texture.
6. Finish with Redken Fashion Work 12 ($26.95) for a light hold.
For your nearest Redken stockist, call 1300 650 170 or visit www.redken.com.au